Competitiveness in Digital:
Destination Management, Strategy & Tactics
A 'Fish Tank' Debate by #DTTT
We would like to thank everyone who participated in our Digital Debate at ITB Berlin 2014, and making this debate a great success! We were honoured to see so many people joining us before leaving ITB last Friday.
A special Thank You to all our panelists for putting forward some great questions and sharing their knowledge and experiences with the industry:
- Charlie Ballard from TripAdvisor
- Gene Quinn from Tnooz
- Martin Stoll from Sparkloft Media
- Hans Petter Aalmo from Visit Norway
- Sofia Caresten from Visit Stockholm
- Claudia Capelli from Bologna Welcome
During the debate we asked our industry experts to put forward burning questions or concerns about key issues in digital marketing that are currently colouring the industry. We also invited a selection of DMOs to the panel who shared their experiences accordingly and this led to a highly interactive and insightful debate. The following questions were being discussed:
- If you had access to unlimited data about your prospective customers’ travel history and preferences, what’s the very first piece of knowledge you’d want to acquire… and what’s the first way you’d take action on it?
- How do publicly-subsidized destination marketing organisations move from a role of brokering marketing funds collected as taxes on visitors (and other subsidies) to a new role as essential marketing partners for the businesses they represent in the global Digital Travel Economy?
- Why are DMOs so focused on their own social channels instead of focusing on getting travelers to tell the story of their destination?
- Who will be our customers in the future? Many DMOs and NTOs have built their own booking systems and struggle to keep up with competition. Should we compete with or join the OTAs?
Join us to continue the discussion in the coming months at one of our events and/or through our Twitter channel.
Would you like to learn more about us and our activities? Feel free to get in touch, we’d be happy to discuss how you might like to get involved. We hope to see you at our future events!