The beauty of people, places and architecture can form the most powerful narrative when it comes to creating content to communicate who your destination is and what it has to offer. After all, this is what makes a destination unique from another, and for most destination's this is at the core of its content strategy.
A snapshot of @lovecapetown shows these different elements have a strong presence across its digital platforms. This type of content gives destination's the opportunity to really connect locals and visitors directly across digital platforms and through marketing campaigns. Which lends itself perfectly to communicating immersive experiences and travelling like a local which consumers are seeking more and more with travel today.
At last year's #DTTTCampus, our workshop explored going beneath the surface of a destination, focusing on learning exactly how to capture the people, places and architecture in its rawest form to create valuable content for DMOs social channels and websites. Not only is the value in attractive content, but in conveying strong emotion through the media that truly engages and resonates with your audience.
Through a huge creative mix of multiple perspectives, participants learnt how to communicate passion through photography, from the very talented photographer and Instagram influencer @rontimehin. Here is a snippet of some of his latest work, totally inspiring and emotive!
Wandering around the streets of Jersey with local ambassadors, the group learnt how to take pictures of architecture, streets, murals, interiors, food and drink, whilst listening to each ambassador’s story for added inspiration.
The key takeaway was about creating and communicating great content based on the raw beauty of your surroundings and passion for your destination. This enables visitors to listen to the stories of people and places through powerful photography and make their own connection from what they see.
Key takeaways from Ron
- You do not need to have all the latest professional photography equipment - A smartphone with a good quality camera is enough to create great content
- There are many simple apps and tools that can help non-professionals - to edit and then share stunning pictures and entertaining videos
- Deliver emotions and feelings through photography - wherever you go and whoever you meet. For destinations, try to express what you perceive when travelling
- Balance highlights and lighting - When capturing a frame that includes both a nice cloudy sky in the back and a silhouette in the foreground, it's difficult to balance highlights: you will have to pick one focus or another, deciding if you want to enhance the sky or show the object in front. However, now both iOs and Android devices allow you to balance the luminosity and include different grounds in the picture. The secret is touching and holding the screen until a luminosity control appears. Thanks to this you will be able to arrange lights and shadows simply yet effectively
- Symmetry is really relevant when creating good content to post online - If you have an attentive eye, you will always be able to find an element, which you have to align to, to find the perfect centre. Sometimes it’s really simple: for example, if you want to take a picture of a building, which has a shop at the ground floor, you can align the camera with the handle of the shutter, knowing that it’s always placed at the centre
Final tips from Ron
- Suggested Apps for editing: Photoshop // Lightroom // Snapseed // Unfold
- A good picture only requires a little effort but can generate a positive engagement
Stay tuned for more from the Content Workshop series and updates on the #DTTTCampus programme in Oslo.
For this year's #DTTTCampus, which will take place from 13-14 June 2019 in Oslo, Norway, our workshops will be focusing on a variety of different topics from Content & Storytelling to Sustainable Growth. Subscribe to our email list to get notified when we announce our full speaker list!
Discussioncomments powered by Disqus
More from #DTTT
In September we present:Think Sustainably with Helsinki Marketing
The city of Helsinki is determined to reduce emissions by 60% by 2030 and to be completely carbon neutral by 2035. Find out how the city is implementing initiatives to achieve this goal.#think sustainably #sustainable destination #sustainable tourism #Helsinki
In August we present:Designing Sustainable Destinations
How one destination aims to get 20 destinations, 1,000 businesses and the entire destination socially, economically and ecologically sustainable by 2030.#sustainable destinations #sustainable travel finland #responsible tourism #sustainable tourism
In July we present:5 Questions with Tourism Ireland
Whether you are a fan or not, HBO’s Game of Thrones is undeniably a truly global phenomenon, captivating the world throughout its 8 gripping seasons. Lannister, Stark, Baratheon, Targaryen – which of the infamous houses will reign supreme and rule the Seven Kingdoms? In between brutal battles and fire breathing dragons, Game of Thrones was […]#film tourism #game of thrones #northern ireland #HBO #screen tourism #Tourism Ireland #visitor experience
In July we present:Buenos Aires Tourist Intelligence System
We explore the use of valuable data from multiple touchpoints in the visitor journey to shape the destination experience and understand tourism flows to manage the destination’s tourism supply, and develop a marketing strategy around key data insights.
In July we present:How to Gamify the Visitor Experience
At #DTTTCampus, Léna Deschamps-Peugeot from Urban Expé led our workshop on How to Gamify the Visitor Experience. Here are some handy takeaways.#gamify #gamifying #destination experience #customer loyalty #gamification #visitor experience
In June we present:Live: #DTTTCampus
#DTTTCampus is here again and we are live from the ground in Oslo, Norway. We are so excited to be welcoming a range of speakers from around the world, from DMOs to travel film directors and industry content powerhouses. We are all set up in the newly transformed Høymagasinet and ready to get started! Stay […]