Opinions: 

Travel Tech

In the US, digital ad spending is on the rise in the travel sector. In 2013, paid digital media spending will increase to $3.35 billion and by 2017, it is predicted to further increase to $4.96 billion. Although growth will be slowing down from 2014 to 2017, overall travel industry digital ad spending is still on the rise. According to eMarketer, more investments in terms of digital ad spending go into direct response, 73% of marketers in the travel industry, however, branding is still important as well and will make up the other 27% of ad spending (eMarketer 2013).

US PAID AD SPENDING

In the US, paid ad spending is dominated by OTAs such as Priceline.com, Expedia and Orbitz. These OTAs are spending billions on advertising worldwide each year.  In 2012, Booking.com spent $1.27 billion on internet advertising which was up from $919.2 million in 2011. This is a major growth and was happening across all OTAs.

MOBILE ADS

In 2012 and 2013, the majority of paid search clicks from US consumers actually came from computer searches. However, mobile advertising is growing quickly. The overall proportion of paid search click shares from Smartphones and tablets are growing steadily. In the first quarter in 2013, 16.7% of travel and leisure paid search clicks came from Tablets and another 6.5% from Smartphones. This is an extraordinary increase from the first quarter of 2012 where 9% of paid search clicks came from Tablets and only 3.9% from Smartphones. Mobile ads are therefore very important for today’s marketer and in the future, the overall share of paid search clicks is only predicted to increase further from mobile devices.

TRAVEL SEARCH

During the last years, travel search has actually grown in importance with search engine marketing being the backbone of tourism. Marketers in tourism spend a large amount of their advertisement budget on mobile paid search and search engine optimisation. However, travel search is still changing and especially with companies such as Google trying to tap into travel, there are more challenges for tourism companies as these big players are fighting over travel traffic.

Travel advertisers are successfully using retargeting as search and display performance-based formats as well as keyword targeting. Direct response ads drive leads and conversions but display investments are still increasing and moving more towards using rich media such as videos, mobile and social displays rather than using standard banners.

More from #DTTT

  • In December we present:
    X. Imagine Recap
    The last day of X. Festival was probably the most unique: two tracks were available to be followed. One was packed with talks and presentations from the most visionary tourism leaders, the second one was a line-up of live roundtables aimed at answering the most debated questions in tourism.   Let’s recap on what we [...]
    #reshapingtravel
  • In December we present:
    X. Rebuild Recap
    The third day of X. Festival has been incredibly insightful. We have heard from leaders in the data and research sectors, who helped us understand what is happening in the market and how to prepare for recovery through sharing invaluable insights and forecasts.   Let’s recap on what we have seen on X. Rebuild. We [...]
    #reshapingtravel
  • In December we present:
    X. Engage Recap
    Day 4 of X. Festival was all about trends, digital consumer behaviour, influencers and creators, engagement and content.   Let’s recap on what we have seen on X. Engage. Alex Herrmann, Director of UK & Ireland at Switzerland Tourism, gave us another daily dose of Switzerland. Ben Shacham, Culture Trip, opened the day with an [...]
    #reshapingtravel
  • In December we present:
    X. Purpose Recap
    The second day of X. Festival is over. We have now gone through 40% of the programme.   Let’s recap on what we have seen today, on X. Purpose. Alex Herrmann, Director of UK & Ireland at Switzerland Tourism, gave us another daily dose of Switzerland. We have opened the day with an incredible piece of [...]
  • In November we present:
    X. Disrupt Recap
    The first day of X. Festival is over, which is like saying that we have gone through 20% of the programme. As you can well imagine, there is still a lot to be explored.  Let’s recap on what we have seen today, on X. Disrupt. Alex Herrmann, Director of UK & Ireland at Switzerland Tourism, [...]
  • In November we present:
    Accelerating Travel Innovation after Coronavirus: From Tragedy to Hope
    How can the travel industry take the global crisis as an opportunity to accelerate innovation? Caroline Bremner, Head of Travel Research at Euromonitor International, will share insights from their last research, providing a unique perspective on the great opportunities for tourism organisations and businesses in the field of innovation. As part of a series of [...]
Show more
© 2020 Digital Tourism Think Tank